Batting stances are overrated. IMO. I bailed, lunged and had a bad eye, but I could hit because I was a better competitor than I was a player.
When we struggle at the plate, the first thing we do is tweak the swing.
Why? Partly because we don't know any better.
Batting Stances Are Overrated. IMO.
We think a better launch angle or a leg-kick is gonna solve your problems.
Here's the reality.
I promise you Hank Aaron didn't know about his launch angle.
If you can hit with a leg-kick great. If not, get rid of the leg kick.
The launch angle is great if it gets you to "attacking the inner half ball consistently.
A leg-kick is awesome if it allows you to use your lower half more effective while getting you to take controlled, violent swings.
The problem is, when misunderstood, the launch angle leads to an early collapse and the leg-kick gives you too much head movement and makes an 85 mph fastball looks like a 95 mph fastball.
Basically, if you want to make an 85 mph fastball look like a 95 mph fastball, speed your feed up, that'll do it. 😉
The Best Hitting Mechanics IMO
The best hitting mechanics is:
- having slow feet (Minimal-Stride)
- fast hands (No brainer)
- quiet head (Minimal head movement = Good pitch recognition)
- while taking a controlled violent swing on a pitch I'm looking for (Aggressive mindset w/ plate discipline)
The Best Hitting Approach IMO
The best hitting approach is:
- walking up to the plate with 100%
- with an attainable goal to hit the ball hard
- attack the inner half of the ball on a pitch I'm looking for
- help my team win.
Lastly, hitting is about the approach, the mind and then the mechanics. In that order.
Because you can have the perfect swing in the world and al the confidence but if your approach sux, your mechanics will break down and you'll lose your confidence.
Your mission: Get great at competing with confidence.
You do this by:
- Changing what you think success is from the batting average to hitting the ball hard.
- Have an opening day mind-set
- Help your team win
- Play both sides of the field well
Remember, when you get great at the bullet points above and you'll play this game for a long time.
If you want to get to hitting with confidence FASTER, join over 3,000 hitters who are training their mental side of hitting, bat-speed and hitting I.Q. in the >>> QAB Academy